|Sri Sarada Devi|
27 June 2012
TEACHINGS OF SRI SARADA DEVI
CHAPTER-III; CONTROL OF THE MIND [PART-I]
1. "Everything depends on one's mind. Nothing can be achieved without purity of mind. It is said, 'The aspirant may have received the grace of the Guru, the Lord, and the Vaishnava; but he comes to grief without the grace of "one.'"That 'one' is the mind. The mind of the aspirant should be gracious to him."
2. "My child, this mind is just like a wild elephant. It races with the wind. Therefore one should discriminate all the time. One should work hard for the realization of God."
3. Disciple: "I cannot concentrate my mind well during meditation. My mind is fickle and unsteady."
Mother: "Don't worry! Restlessness is the nature of the mind, as it is of the eyes and ears. Practise regularly. The Name of God is more powerful than the senses. Always think of the Master (Sri Ramakrishna), who is looking after you. Don't be troubled about your lapses."
4. "Whenever the mind goes after anything other than God, consider that as transient and surrender the mind at the sacred feet of the Lord."
5. "The mind naturally tends towards evil deeds. It is lethargic in doing good works. Formerly I used to get up at 3 a.m. and sit up for meditation. One day I felt disinclined to do so on account of physical indisposition. That one day's irregularity resulted in the upsetting of my routine for a number of days. That is why I say that perseverance and tenacity are necessary for success in all good work."
6. Mother forbade a disciple to make pilgrimages without discrimination of time and company. Quoting from a song, she said, " 'Pilgrimage and excursion are causes of misery. Oh my mind, don't be restless about them.' You can attain more in your house, if you are really earnest."
7. Regarding weakness of the mind, Holy Mother said to a disciple, "Child, this is the law of nature. Have you not noticed the full moon and the new moon? Likewise the mind is sometimes dominated by good, and sometimes by bad tendencies.
8. Disciple: "Mother, my mind becomes restless now and then. It craves for enjoyments. That frightens me."
Mother: "Don't be afraid. I tell you that in this Kali Yuga mental sin is no sin. Free your mind from all worries on this account. You need not be afraid."